Saturday 12 May 2012

Running Towards the Cake

I love the running community. I have read so many blogs singing the praises of fellow runners and saying how supportive they are however nothing beats experiencing this first hand.

I went on my third Park Run this morning which I found ridiculously hard (slightly worrying when I have a 10K in a month) however the wonderful volunteers who cheer everyone on each week genuinely make my day. Having a complete stranger complimenting your running, even if it's stretching the truth and they say it to everyone, is a great ego boost when you're out sans make up on a Saturday morning.

The only problem is, a 5K run at 9am seems to trick my body into thinking it's entitled to chocolate biscuits galore. Luckily I'm not really running to lose weight (and here's why you shouldn't either!) and so can cross the finish line safe in the knowledge that I'll be indulging in the calories when I get home. Of course there's a happy medium and no one can exercise at their full potential having lived off takeaways for a month however it's all about the bigger picture. Life's no fun without your favourite things and there's certainly room for both running and cake in mine!

If you're a runner (or want to be) and are looking for motivation then I would thoroughly recommend Spikes and Heels (where the above linked peice is from), an amazing website by Muireann Carey-Campbell. Living by the motto "be pretty on rest days", her site is a must read for anyone wanting to break out of their comfort zone.

Have a treat filled weekend x

2 comments:

  1. I'm yet to try a park run Jen but was thinking of signing up from my local one soon.

    What do you think of them? harder because of all the competition meaning your running a faster pace?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Defo sign up. I'd say they make you push yourself harder (which is always a good thing!) however there's such a supportive atmosphere it's a lot more enjoyable than running alone.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete