Sunday 5 December 2010

Hi I'm Jenni and, after months of putting it off, I am finally starting a blog. I'm not completely new to this having blogged fairly regularly during my time working at Sheffield Students' Union last year. That, however, was for my role as Welfare Officer and so I'm quite looking forward to writing something which doesn't end with a reference to Nightline or a plea for students to use condoms. Not that that wasn't terribly fun (and of course worthwhile) however it's always nice to broaden one's interests.

The last time I blogged in a personal capacity was many years ago in the form of a Livejournal account where I went by the name of 'dancing barbie'. I'm hoping this will be very different. For starters, I'm no longer stressing about my A levels, the obsession with my local dance school has faded and I now appreciate the value of colours other than pink. I wish I could say that reading my Livejournal back provided hours of happy teenage memories however it mainly just left me cringing at my consistent use of the phrases 'lol' and 'omg'.

Anyway, I have decided to blog again for a number of reasons. Firstly, I like to write. Having studied science at University and, regrettably, not really getting involved with the student newspaper, I'm worried it won't come all that naturally. My English Language A level seems a distant memory and most of the writing I do these days is via email. I guess I see a blog as a chance to develop my writing style (as even trawling through old facebook messages shows how much it has chopped and changed over the last few years). I have long had a magazine obsession (ever since I first got hooked on 'Girl Talk' as a child) and harbour an ambition to write for one of the glossies some day. I know how incredibly difficult it is to break into this industry and so this is one of the reasons why having a space where I can just practice writing about anything I please is important to me.

Secondly, like most people, I am rather fond of talking/ranting. I am aware that not everyone cares about what I have to say and so, in the interests of sparing my friends/family/work colleagues from what's going on inside of my head, I have decided to find another means of expression. This can be my space to chat about whatever I'm getting het up over and, I say this with the hope that I will gain some followers at some point, hear other people's views too.

Lastly, whilst this is by no means an anonymous blog, I like the freedom the internet can give you. I think it's easier to be a bit more adventurous with what you write when you can't physically see anyone reading it (and realistically it's unlikely that anyone who hasn't been directed here by myself will be browsing through my blog anyway).

One of the reasons I took so long to actually get started is because I've been umming and ahhing about what the focus of my blog should be. A friend of mine sent me the links to some of her favourite blogs (mainly fashion/photography orientated ones) for inspiration. They were all amazing however, as it currently takes all of my effort to drag myself to work on time as it is, I don't think I'd have the energy to also provide photogrpahic evidence of my outfits every morning. I do, however, love fashion and so wouldn't mind incorporating this into my blog at some point. Just so you know, this love is more about the excitement of exiting Top Shop with the leather shorts I've been lusting over than the ability to rock the latest catwalk looks. So to summarise, as much as I admire all of the girls (and guys) out there who have beautifully designed blogs detailing their latest purchases, I've came to the conclusion that this approach probably wouldn't work for me. Plus I'm not very photogenic and I'm trying to gain followers not lose them :p

I think, for now anyway, I'm just going to go with the flow and see what happens. Posts may therefore range from vents about my lack of willpower around carbs to my views on higher education funding (yes I work in a Students' Union and so that'll almost certainly be coming soon!). Either way do please stop by and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment