Sunday 9 December 2012

Real Hangover Cures

The festive season is upon us which means one thing: hangovers (hopefully you'll have other things to remember Christmas 2012 by but we all know that overindulging is a certainty). As a result, some kind of recovery guide is normally only a few clicks away. Coupled with new medical developments you'd be forgiven for thinking that hangovers should be a thing of the past.

I'm sure most of us can testify that this is very much not the case (unless you can afford to be hooked up to a drip for a few hours). Last Saturday, feeling so rough that I had to ask my local pharmacist for a cure, I turned to google to see if the internet had any words of wisdom to get me on the road to recovery. Unfortunately many of 'tips' I came across involved altering the previous night's behaviour. Now for those of us without a time machine, we need another way to combat the consequences of failing to alternate our rum with soft drinks. So, in the interests of keeping us all well and ready to get back out on the dancefloor, I have compiled a list of real hangover fixes. You are welcome.

1). Make like a Coyote (Ugly) and say no to H20
All the 'experts' out there rave about the healing powers of water the morning after. I disagree. Instead try some lemonade/sprite or orange squash. The sugar will (probably) make you feel a little perkier and it's a lot easier to stomach than water when you're feeling really ill.

2). Prescription medication
Okay this one's a bit naughty however is certainly worth mentioning. A few months ago I was prescribed anti-sickness tablets (Buccastem in case you're interested) which I didn't use up. Luckily I had the foresight not to get rid of the remainder as these bad boys are now my lifeline if I've over done it on the wine. Unfortunately I only have one left and so I'm guessing this hangover cure will soon be no longer (unless any Medics out there fancy making a bit of money on the side...?).

3). Non-prescription medication
An alternative to the above is to dose up on over the counter remedies. My personal favourites are Paracetemol (I've heard it's easier on your stomach than Ibuprofen) and Berocca although my housemate swears by Original Andrews Salts.

4). Carbs
I think most people agree that some kind of food is needed however why go down the nutritious route when you have the perfect excuse to gorge yourself on refined carbohydrates and junk food? A hangover is one of those magical times where the calories just do not count.

5). Therapy
So we've talked about the physical effects of a hangover but what about the mental distress you're probably facing? Forget reliving the night's shenanigans (for a moment), alcohol is a depressant and so even if you thought you were well behaved, you're still likely to feel a bit mopey the next day. My go to activity when this happens is to find someone non-judgmental and use them as your own personal therapist for half an hour or so. It's good if you have a mutual arrangement with a sibling or housemate (these tend to be the people that will still tolerate you even after you've stumbled downstairs in last night's clothes). They will help you get things into perspective (particularly important if there was any wine-induced inappropriateness) and give you a boost to carry on with your weekend. If you're feeling particularly ambitious you could try some light exercise for an endorphin rush or, for the weaker amongst us, put on a DVD and enjoy a well earned duvet day.

6). Damage control
Apart from the obligatory apology texts, my best advice is to pretend it never happened.

For some more sensible hangover cures see here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment