Sunday 17 June 2012

When Russell Brand met the Dalai Lama...

Yesterday a group of us went to see the Dalai Lama talk at an event called Stand Up and Be the Change. I'm not particularly religious (my Catholic upbringing kind of fell by the wayside once church was no longer a mandatory Sunday activity) however, with free tickets for under 25's, this seemed like too good an opportunity to miss. Plus as soon as I heard that Russell Brand was acting as compere I was sold (he's my guilty pleasure, what can I say?).

I must admit I was a little apprehensive. I think I was half expecting to be preached at however there was a refreshing lack of religious terminology and the principles explored were not particularly controversial (such as the importance of forgiveness and how we all have the right to find spiritual happiness). The general consensus on our way out was that a lot of what was said made perfect sense however I did feel that the event lacked practical advice. It's all very well telling a group of people to 'Stand Up and Be the Change' however I'm still not quite clear about what I'm supposed to be changing and how I should go about doing so. Either way, I liked the focus on empowering young people and it did hit home that it is now our generation's turn to do our thing (no pressure...).

All in all it was a great way to spend a Saturday, especially the parts were Russell Brand attempted to interpret the Dalai Lama's advice on spiritual wellbeing (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write!).

No comments:

Post a Comment